Friday 19 October 2012

CD Review: Reinventing Axl Rose

What I'm Listening To Now: Cassettes by Mixtapes

Today I'm finally finishing reviewing my top 5 albums ever. The past few weeks I have been very busy wasting my time with Skyrim and FIFA, my bad! My final choice is Reinventing Axl Rose by Against Me!



When I first heard Against Me! I wasn't really sure what all the fuss was about. I never disliked any songs but was completely flummoxed as to why they were adored so much by the punks. Then I saw this video.


 I instantly fell in love with them. I found the energy and passion of the fans mesmerizing. Straight away I went online and brought the album.

Reinventing Axl Rose starts of with Pints Of Guiness Make You Strong. This song is a very clear indication of the musical style you will find on this album. Fist in the air sing-a-longs, fast drumbeats and the raw intensity they are known for after years of performing live in basements and dirty bars. 

The next stand out track is We Laugh At Danger And Break All The Rules (The song from the video), is a song about growing up and struggling with who you are, feeling trapped and wanting to escape and do something great. My favourite part of the song is when the music drops out and you think the song is ending and then a huge sing-a-long. It gives a wonderful impression of a room full of kids clapping along to the beat with huge smiles on their faces.

The title track in my opinion is the greatest song ever written. It is an anthem not just for punk, metal or hardcore bands but for any band that has loaded up a van to travel the world to play their music. There are soooooo many great lyrics in this song I'm tempted to post them all. I won't, but you should definitely check them out here: http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/againstme/reinventingaxlrose.html

My personal favourite lyric is "Just gimme a scene where the music is free, And the beer is not the life of the party." This lyric is very dear to me due to my own views on drinking alcohol. Any scene where there isn't the social stigma that says you don't need to drink to have fun is definitely a scene for me.

Reinventing Axl Rose is an amazing piece of work by a band that are now one of the biggest punk bands on the planet. Every single new album is always greeted with great anticipation but for me this will always remain the best. Every time I listen I seem to find something else I love about it. Check it out!

Song I'm Listening To Now: Walking Is Still Honest by Against Me!  

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment