Thursday 20 September 2012

CD Review: Sing Loud Sing Proud

What I'm Listening To Now; Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now by The Starting Line

Whilst the more mainstream Blackout was the first Dropkick Murphys album I ever heard Sing Loud Sing Proud was the album that really gave them a permanent home in my heart. Sing Loud Sing Proud for me was the album where DKM (Dropkick Murphys) really found their classic sound. This was when they really started to blend their traditional folk influences into their street punk sound without losing any of the attitude or energy. There isn't a moment where a folk instrument feels forced or out of place. I'd also argue that this is the classic DKM line up with Marc "The Kid" Orrell on lead guitar. If I were to make a fantasy band he would be my guitarist but that is a blog for another day.

Sing Loud Sing Proud starts off with a recording of the fans battle cry of "let's go murphys!" before launching into For Boston. This song is a great way to kick off the album due to the pounding drums, bagpipes taking the lead over the guitars and huge gang vocals. Gang vocals are a huge part of of what makes DKM great.

The majority of songs on Sing Loud Sing Proud are either about workers rights (Which Side Are You On?, The Gauntlet) or are drinking songs (Good Rats, The Spicy McHaggis Jig). Both styles of song work great with the gang vocals and especially the dual vocals of Al Barr and Ken Casey. With singers seemingly coming from every direction it really makes you feel involved in the album.

You can find my two favourite DKM songs on Sing Loud Sing Proud. The Gauntlet starts off with a thumping hollow drum beat the guitars kick in. The song, like many DKM songs is about standing up for yourself regardless of the outcome. The lyric "Do you think we're gonna make it? I don't know unless we try, you could sit here scared to move, or we could take them by surprise" to me is inspiring. it has given me the inspiration many times to stand up for myself when I feel a situation I've been in is unfair. The chorus "Stand up and fight, and I'll stand up with you, we shall succeed" has taught me you don't have to battle everyone yourself and there are people who will have your back.



My other favourite song is A Few Good Men is another song with messages about standing up for yourself and banding together against 'the man.' However where The Gauntlet is a full on punk rock assault A Few Good Men is a more stripped back folk number. This makes it feel very accessible and you can easily imagine it being an anthem on a picket line or at a working class bar. 

I believe that really kick-started DKM on there way to being one of, if not the biggest punk band on the planet. It has everything a great punk album needs, passion, energy, power, truthfulness and great sing-a-longs.

Forever This Album Will Stay With Me.

BRAP!

Song I'm Listening To Now: Forever by Dropkick Murphys

No comments:

Post a Comment